While some Nurses may love working the night shift, it definitely can be a challenge to your lifestyle and sleep pattern! Sometimes working these hours are unavoidable so we have put together some top tips to help you get through a night shift.
- Tell people you’re working nightshift – Letting friends and family know you are working night shift will help prevent interruptions while trying to sleep during the day.
- Meal Prep – Usually during night shift there is no access to hot food or meals in the hospital like there would be on a day shift. Prepping meals before a shift will help keep energy levels up and ensure you don’t turn to unhealthy snacks.
- Take Scheduled Breaks – Even if you are not hungry or tired, never skip breaks. Use this time to relax and re-energise for the rest of the shift.
- Perfect your sleep – It could be worthwhile investing in blackout blinds/curtains, an eye mask, ear plugs or even a white noise machine to help you sleep better during the day.
- Treat Yourself – Plan a fun or enjoyable activity to do when you have a break from your night shift rota. This will give you something to look forward to whilst working and help you relax once night shifts are completed.